The Higher course aims to build on the transferrable skills which candidates developed in the National qualification. During this year, we focus specifically on analysis and evaluation skills. Our course challenges pupils to develop their extended writing skills and learn to construct timed exam essays. The content of the Higher course is demanding and requires students to critically analyse and investigate the religious, moral and philosophical questions and issues which stem from our studies. The course consists of weekly homework and there is an expectation that students will work outside of class to develop their knowledge and understanding. There is a lot of thinking and writing in this course but it aims to prepare learners for life after school.
The course begins with a SKILLS unit where Students are taught how to write evaluative essays, ensuring they have the relevant skills needed for success at Higher level.
- World Religion- Buddhism
- Beliefs about the Buddha
- The Nature of Reality
- The Nature of Human Beings
- Samsara & Nibbana
- Living according to the Noble Eightfold Path
- Individual & Community Worship
- Morality & Belief- Morality and Justice
- The Purposes of Punishment
- The Causes of Crime
- UK Responses to Crime
- Capital Punishment
- Religious & Philosophical Questions - Existence of God
- The Nature of God
- The Cosmological Argument and the Big Bang Theory
- The Telelogical Argument and Evolution
- Approaches to dialogue and compatibility
- Assignment - Personal Research
Analysis, evaluation, using sources, extended writing, critical thinking, creativity, taking notes, research, planning, questioning, presentation, understanding different viewpoints and more.
Common Career/Study Paths
Social Subjects (e.g. Sociology, Psychology, Social Anthropology, History, Philosophy, Criminology), Emergency Services (e.g. Medicine, Police & Prison Services, Fire Service), Social Work, Education, Journalism and the Media, Law etc.
- Exam Paper One, 2 hours 15 minutes, 60 marks
- Exam Paper Two, 45 minutes, 20 marks
- Assignment- 1 hour 30 minutes, 30 marks
A pass in Higher RMPS is also a very acceptable entry qualification for all university courses and is well respected by employers.